Thursday 29 April 2010

Day 44 – This and that

Thursday 22nd October 2009

Finally managed to get a little bit of sleep.

Had to have another line removed from my hand as it became extremely swollen and sore. I still had a full bag of glucose, potassium and some antibiotics to take so was waiting for an anaesthetist to come from either ICU or A&E to put another line in. Where, I don’t know, as my poor hands are shot to bits….

Having waiting several hours for an anaesthetist, Doctor Zara decided enough was enough so put a line in at 6.45am. Given the state of my hands I thought she did really well to find a suitable vein.

Doctor Miska (the Russian doctor) popped in to say hello and was impressed when he found out that Zara had managed to put a line in. He’s really sweet and I enjoy having a laugh with him. The other day he came to take some blood and said the usual ‘you’ll just feel a scratch’. I told him I was sick of people saying ‘just a scratch’ when it was nothing like a scratch. On his second try (it took three goes to get some blood) he said ‘you’ll feel a little poke’….

Kermit came, as usual just after breakfast, and commented that I looked much better, with a lot more colour in my cheeks. Everyone had been saying that, yet when I looked in the mirror I couldn’t see any difference. He said the drain can come out later today and that I was to have another blood test and, if that showed I was fine, then I could slowly get up.
“What happens if the test isn’t ok”, I asked.
“We’ll have to give you another couple of units of blood”, he said.
I kept my fingers crossed the sample would be ok as I didn’t want to be wire for sound again.

I was still weeing for England as Kermit was concerned that I may become dehydrated. Thankfully I was rather thirsty so didn’t mind drinking. The nurses didn’t seem to mind me keep buzzing them nearly every hour for a bed pan.

Doctor Miska called in again so I switched off my radio, which is what I do whenever anyone comes into my room as I think it’s bad mannered not to.
“Don’t turn it off on my account”, he said, switching it back on, “what station are you listening to”.
“Radio 2”, I said.
“I like Radio 2”, he replied, “Terry Wogan is good. I like Jeremy Vine also”.
He then explained that my blood sample had come back ok so I didn’t need another transfusion.
“Happy with that”, he smiled.
“Oh yes”, I said.
He didn’t seem to be in a hurry to leave so we started chatting.
“Which part of Russia are you from”, I asked.
“I’m from the Ukraine”, he said.
“You always seem to do well in Eurovision”, I said.
“I only started watching it when I came to the UK. I never saw it back home”.
We chatted for a while about the wired and wonderful things of Eurovision.

A little later Sister Clarke popped her head around the door.
“Hello Marie”, she said, “how’s the tiger coming along”.
“Slowly Sister”, I replied, showing her my cross stitch.
“You can’t leave until it’s finished”, she laughed.
“Please don’t say that”, I pleaded, “or I’ll never get out !!!”.

Once again I was wired for sound as Christa had hooked me to a new batch of antibiotics.
“They’re very strong”, she said, “so if you feel ‘funny’ in any way, buzz or yell for help”.
Thankfully they passed through ok.

John arrived that evening with some good news. Having measured up yesterday, the stair lift company will be installing it early next week. Yippee !!!!

Mary called in for a chat after the visitors had gone and was there until after 11pm. Her consultant was pleased with her progress but she was a little upset that she would have to be on antibiotics for life. I explained that the consequences of getting an infection in a metal joint wasn’t funny, so it was a small price to pay.

Doctor Zara, who was working nights, popped into see me and was surprised to find Mary there. She asked how I was feeling.
“Fine”, I replied.

Staff nurse Dolores who had just finished taking our obs, made Zara aware that my blood pressure was low.
“102”, laughed Zara, “that’s high for Marie”.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.