Thursday 18 February 2010

Day 30 – A light at the end of the tunnel

Thursday 8th October 2009

My hip hadn’t been giving me much in the way of grief during the night so I was pleased. A night off from any sort of pain would be wonderful.

Wasn’t able to get out of bed as I was still attached to my woodshed drain bottle. I remember when I had my hip replaced I filled two drain bottles with blood. Couldn’t quite see the amount but it looked about ¾ full.

I couldn’t believe that I had been in hospital for four weeks. Four weeks !!!! In one way it had dragged but in another it had flown by. If I hadn’t ‘lost’ six days because of my cold sore I might have been home by now. Bummer….

Kermit arrived, as he usually did, just before breakfast. He was going to monitor my wound for a couple of days and as long as it remained dry and that the physio’s were happy with me, I could go home. YIPPEE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Young Natalie came to take my blood pressure and it was 92. Even I thought that was low. She asked Tracey, one of the staff nurses, for advice. I had to lie flat and drink lots of fluid. Tracey said she would be back in half an hour to check my pressure again.

Half an hour later and it had gone down to 86. Tracey removed my pillows and told me to remain still for half an hour.

Another half an hour later, while Tracey was having a chat with Doctor Zara to see what to do next, Natalie checked my pressure again. It was now 102.

I could now have my pillows back but had to remain flat on the bed. It wasn’t easy doing cross stitch lying flat on your back….

Every time my pressure when up I was allowed to sit up a little bit more.

Got my drain out just before lunch and I was eventually allowed out of bed at 1.30pm.

Because of my low blood pressure I was back on the zimmer frame. Lisa, the physio, thought it best as I was more stable on the frame.

Tanya, one of the auxiliary nurses, tried to take some blood but whenever she put the needle in the ‘well was dry’. After about four attempts (my poor arms….) she had had enough and said she would get someone else to do it.

Lovely Louise, another auxiliary nurse, had drawn the short straw. She asked where was the best place to get blood. I pointed to a vein in my left arm.
“That’s the first time I’ve been asked that”, I said.
“I’ve always found the best person who knows where to get blood from is the patient themselves”.
She was right. Some nurses have a bit of a ego about them. They are the ones with the nursing qualifications, not you, so didn’t like being told what to do.

1 comment:

  1. Oh don't talk to me about nurses, Marie, they are such silly bloody cows! (Except that one obviously).

    My sister in law is a nurse and she didn't say a word to me all through a family dinner. And this mum at school cut me dead - and guess what? she's a nurse too. I wonder if they have to take an oath or something.

    Poor you. Having to be locked with them overnight!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.