Saturday 24 December 2011

The Back Man – at last !!!!

Wednesday 8th June 2011

After countless cancelled appointments I finally got to see the Back Man. My Mam came with me again as John wasn’t able to get time off work.

When the Back Man came into the consulting room he explained practically word for word what the Pain Man had said.

He showed us the results of the MRI scan and pointed out where my spine had moved to and where it should have been. No wonder I am in so much agony !!!!!

“There is an operation I can perform on your back”, he said, “it would involve putting a metal rod in your spine. However there are risks involved”.

“Like what”, asked my Mam.

“At worst paralysis in the both legs, loss of bladder and bowel control, loss of sensation. It will be a really challenging operation as there is no left hip bone to attach the medal rod to”.

“I had talked about this with my husband John after I saw you last year”, I said, “and knowing the risks, and knowing how lucky I am, the answer is no”.

“Have a think about it”, he said, ignoring my answer, “I’ll see you in a couple of months. If you decide on the operation I’ll then go through everything with you in fine detail”.

“I don’t want it”, I reiterated, “so the answer is still no”.

“We’ll see you in a couple of months”, he said, filling out the admin sheet.

What part of ‘no’ does he not understand !!!!

I talked it over with John that night and we both were in the same opinion, it’s too risky so the answer is…. no.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.