Tuesday 13 July 2010

The Back Man

Thursday 1st July 2010

I had an appointment to see a consultant about my back that morning. As the appointment time was 8.30am we thought we stood a chance of getting parked at the hospital.

Not a chance !!!!! As usual building work was taking place so they had blocked off at least a third of the car park. Sunderland hospital has got to be one of the worst for being ‘anti-car’.

Years ago parking wasn’t a problem. However with the Trust closing smaller hospitals in the area to make every thing under one roof, something had to be sacrificed for the building work and that was the car parks.

Having said that, the staff were to blame too. In the late 80’s the Trust built the staff a huge free multi-story car park. The old car parks would then be used just for patients and visitors.

Why, no one knows, but the staff refused to use their new car park and continued using the old ones. With a building not being used, the Trust eventually converted it into wards.

The Back Man was running a little late, not as much as Kermit normally is though, so got into see him at 8.50am.
After introducing himself and the student who was shadowing him that day, he flicked through my notes, “You’re one complicated lady”, he smiled.
“Don’t I know it…”, I replied.
“I’ve had a long chat with Mr Green so he’s filled me in on what happened last year. Because of all the work that’s gone on, finding a cure isn’t going to be easy. Surgery will have to be the last resort as there are a lot of risks involved, one of which is paralysis”.
Mmmm, I thought. Knowing my luck…..

“I see from your records you had a MRI scan in September. I’d like you to have an up-to-date one done and also some x-rays on your back. I’ll see you again once they’ve been done”.

To be honest the appointment was a bit of a waste of time. Why couldn’t the Back Man have asked for the scan and x-rays to be taken before I saw him. He would have known all along that they would have been necessary.

Now for the long wait for the MRI scan…..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.