Sunday 27 November 2011

The Hand (Wo)Man

Tuesday 3rd May 2011

Saw the Hand (Wo)Man today. As the appointment time was 9.am and at Monkwearmouth Hospital, which is less than a mile from our house, John was able to come with me.

Before I saw the (Wo)Hand Man, the usual obs had to be taken by one of the auxiliary nurses.

“How tall are you”, she asked.

“That depends on which leg I’m standing on…”, I replied.

She settled on the length of the longest leg.

“What’s your weight”, she asked.

“No idea”, I replied, “as I can’t stand on the scales”.

“We need to know”, she said, “so you’re going to have to try and stand”.

Easier said than done…..

After much wobbling by me and much moving of the scales needle, she eventually settled on a figure.

“Mrs Harper”, called out a ladies voice from one of the clinic rooms.

I looked to see where the voice was coming from and waved to say I was coming.

“Hello Mrs Harper”, said the lady when I go to the clinic door, She held out her hand, “I’m Dr Petreczky”.

After poking and prodding, the Hand (Wo)Man confirmed what Dr Chapman had suspected. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in my left hand.

“What caused it”, I asked.

“Your elbow crutch”, she replied, “it’s because you’re putting strain on your wrist. I’m going to refer you to a consultant neurophysiologist for an electromyography. It’s a test to see how much damage there is to the nerves in your wrist”.

“What then”, I ask.

“It all depends on how severe the carpal tunnel syndrome is. I’ll arrange for you to get measured up for a splint. Wear it during the night and whenever you can seeing as you need to move your wrist with your crutches”.

“I think though”, she continued, “the only option would be surgery”.

I shook my head, “I can’t. I need my hand to walk. I’m going to be totally immobilised if it’s out of action”.

“Ok”, she said, “I’ll put down that surgery is the very last option. See how the splint goes and I’ll see you in a couple of month”.

I can’t even being to think what I’d do if I have to have surgery on my hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.